The municipality has 11,674 inhabitants and an area of 20,484 hectares for a population density
of 57 inhabitants per square kilometer. It is located in a mountainous area , located 765 meters
above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Piazza Municipio n. 1 , tel. 095 7991912 Fax. 095 921387, toll free
800261310. Post in an intermediate zone between the rivers Alcantara and Simeto, Randazzo
stands for the conspicuous production of wine grapes, olives, hazelnuts, almonds and
chestnuts. Flourishing is also the breeding of sheep, cattle and goats, thanks to the presence of
vast pasture areas, whose products can be tasted during the Cattle Fair held in June. The name
Randazzo probably derives from the word "Randazzu", which means "big village" because of its
vast urban expansion.
The first settlement dates back to the Byzantine period, during which it was built a fortress
surrounded by massive walls. Around 1282 the king Pedro I of Aragon transformed it in a
military base for the war against the Angevins. In 1305 it became a possession of Federico II of
Aragon, who made it his permanent home, obtained the title of duke of Randazzo in 1332.
Subsequently, the town belonged to the state property. In the sixteenth century the village had
a long period of economic decline, because the noble families of the place moved to the
neighboring countries. Until 1500 the city was divided into three areas in which there are three
different dialects: Greek, Latin and Lombard. Later Randazzo took on its present urban structure,
medieval style, built with blocks of flow.
The most important monuments are the Church of St. Mary; the Church of S.Nicholas and the
Church of S. Martin. The first is built between 1217 and 1239, of Norman-Swabian, which
includes three majestic apses shaped battlement towers; the second, built in 1583, keeps many
sculptures of Gagini school and a baptismal font, in Gothic style. Lastly, the Church of St. Martin
of the thirteenth century, contains a beautiful font of Gothic style and outside a beautiful bell
tower of three hundred windows with alternating single and double windows. Characteristic are
also the House Spitaleri, of the fourteenth century, the ruins of the medieval walls with the Port
of St. Martin in 1753 and the Swabian Castle, restructured several times, which today keeps the
Archaeological Museum "Paolo Vagliasindi". Among the famous men of Randazzo we remind
the celebrated musician Erasmo Marotta (1565-1641) creator of the drama ministry in music
and the illustrious physiologist Andrea Capparelli (1854-1921), who was the dean of the
University of Catania.
||S. Maria Assunta - San Giuseppe
||15 august - 19 march